Sunday, June 2, 2013

Lower Calf Creek Falls

My friend Micah and I recently hiked Lower Calk Creek Falls which is located in southern Utah about 12 miles south of Boulder, Utah.  The hike is a level hike approximately 6 miles RT.  We did the hike in the morning when it was cool and fewer people.  As we were on vacation we didn’t do crazy early but were surprised that even with a 9am start we saw one person at the falls.  Coming back out there were several parties.  I’m sure this changes as the temperature heats up – we were at probably 50F that day is all.  But, as someone who enjoys NOT hiking with big crowds it worked out great.

The hike starts at the end of the campground with a trail guide which is a must.  It’s not a must because the trail is difficult to follow but instead because it has some really interesting points on it including geography, history, flora and fauna.  I like knowing the history and factoids about an area.  On this hike you past some ancient Fremont Indian grain storage and pictographs which is really unique.  Not everyone can say that they have seen ancient artifacts while hiking beautiful scenery!  On that note it did help that I had a small set of binoculars.

The hike parallels Highway 12 to the North.  In fact, if you drive North to about the second overlook you can actually see the ravine you hiked up but you just can’t quite see the actual falls.  You have varied rock structures and actually several tree groves which provide some great shade (if you need it – I tend to not need breaks from the sun).  I’m sure in the summer months when it’s actually warm it can get seriously hot as the sun beats down on the rocks into the ravine.  But, today it was really pleasant (ok, it was a bit cold for me but I survived). 
The ravine you hike up to Lower Calf Creek Falls as seen from Hiway 12
  
You gradually follow the actual calf creek and there are some small fish in it if you look careful.  At the end of the trail you come through a grove of trees to a cool semi-circle cliff with the falls.  For those who need the shade (again, not me) you can sit back and enjoy the vista.  Otherwise, you can venture out to the actual beach or pool of water to see the beautiful falls.  With the beach and pool of water it creates a photographic wonder – these falls are one of the most photographed in Utah.  I did my best to follow suite. 

 
We had thought about jumping into the water when it was 90 degrees about 4 days earlier but the water is on the nippy side and the morning was brisk as well so besides dipping my hands in the water there was no way I  was jumping in. Micah and I sat and ate some fruit and just felt the ambiance before heading back.  It was great timing because just as we started to put our packs on another couple came. 

The hike, although 3 miles each way, is flat and very enjoyable.  It took us an easy 3 hours to walk in and out as well as sit and enjoy the sites.  The time also included reading the guide map and looking at things as well as many picture taking breaks.  I’ll put this on my do again list!
Check out the Pictures from this trip

No comments:

Post a Comment